Sunday, May 30, 2010

Great Bend, KS to McPherson, KS 64 miles






Greg looking dapper, more Kansas.








Today the skies were gray and it looked like we would be riding in the rain. However, there is one sure way to prevent rain and that is to wear a Craft (read hot) rain jacket. If you wear a jacket it won't rain on the outside, but it will rain on the inside. You can get rather wet on the inside but not from the rain. By the first SAG stop, Greg and I were soaked and shed our jackets. The group owes us their grattitude since it is obvious we prevented the deluge. Over the next 5 miles or so post SAG we dried and it warmed up and became real nice.
Once again we had a cross wind. Actually the wind was slightly perturbed but not cross. LOL Sometimes it was a quartering headwind, but mostly a cross wind of 20 mph or more. Nothing spectacular to tell, except I startled Greg while riding by yelling "Roy, slow down". We were trying to chase down Sam and had closed to within 50 yards. He whipped his head around, his bike followed and clipped my front wheel. We all know what that means. The next thing Greg heard was this swishing noise as my bike and I were travelling in the middle of the ditch through the grass. I hadn't panicked and after a brief laugh we were on the road again. These things happen so fast and are sure to wake you up a bit. We didn't catch Sam which served us right. Another rider, the Dos xx's "most interesting man" had a brief crash today as well with only his pride being the apparent injury. We all know who Stu, oops I mean the Dos xxs most interesting man is.

Today, lots of grassland, wheat, oil wells and cattle. As we head east, Kansas becomes more rolling terrain rather than the flat wheat fields that most Americans visualize. Tomorrow is "Abilene oh Abilene the prettiest town I've ever seen" (you probably don't know the song). It is the 9th straight day of riding and we are rewarded with a well deserved rest day the following day. I only have 3 more riding days until I leave the tour in St. Joes (north of Kansas City).

I am enclosing a few pics, which I hope you will enjoy.

And remember.....go Celtics. Rooting for LA is like rooting for Microsoft.

Ty










No comments:

Post a Comment