Monday, May 24, 2010

Las Vegas, NM to Tucumcari, NM 108 miles


As we were leaving Las Vegas as Sheryl Crow says, although she probably meant the other Las Vegas.




The Canadian Escarpment.

Hill after hill. The downhills are always fun but you can see we were going to have to climb out of this.






Today was very windy. Gusts were over 30 mph and proved to be a problem when the wind was a crosswind. For the most part, and I mean the most part, the wind was a helping wind and was either a tailwind or on the rear quarter. Sometimes for periods the wind was a headwind or a quartering headwind. The crosswind made biking extremely difficult. Given the squirliness of my Specialized Tarmac, I had the van bump me for 20 miles so I ONLY rode 90 miles today. Somehow I feel like I cheated. LOL. Our times were fast, but for me I really didn't care for the extreme windiness. My average speed was 19.1 mph. However, I made the mistake of filling one of my two water bottles at the last SAG stop with too strong Gatorade and had to make the last 35 miles in the heat on 22 oz. of water. When I arrived at the hotel, I drank a chocolate milk and 3 bottles of water. I guess it must be easy to die of thirst. Sometimes we forget that. The wind reminded me too much of politics, something I am trying to avoid thinking about.

The scenery changed from mountainous to beautiful ranching country and shortly before Tucumcari to a more arid desert type climate. At about mile 30, we reached the Canadian escarpment and dropped down to a plateau. We are now on the high plains at about the 4000 foot level.

I will post more tomorrow and some pics. The internet at our hotel isn't working and it makes it difficult to write much or post anything at this time. Tomorrow's forecast is for more wind although we are now going in a straight NE direction, so the wind should help us. Also, possible thundershowers, although no softball sized hail.

Signing off too quickly tonite. I need the rest.

Ty

1 comment:

  1. Ty,
    I will be riding with Crossroads in 2011 so I'm watching all of the bloggers on this ride with much interest.
    It looks like the wind for the most part has been favorable and I hope that it continues for you (but save some good wind for next year).

    I will be on my Specialized Roubaix, at 200 lbs and a bit longer wheelbase the crosswinds aren't quite as bad.

    Ride safe and enjoy the adventure!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete