Monday, May 10, 2010

Riverside, CA to Indio, CA 85 miles











Today was very chilly early as it was 48 this a.m. at breakfast and very windy. You will note the jacket and armwarmers in the pics, although later the arm warmers are pulled down are in my back pocket.

We started the day with a nice 1000 ft or so climb. At mile 26 we had a 5 mile climb which I raced up for some strange reason. Maybe the Led Zeppelin music pouring through the headphones served as a stimulant, or maybe the testorone. I was feeling really really strong. Who knows. We climbed to the 2500 ft level and then the fun really started. It was all downhill to Palm Springs where we dropped to only a few hundred feet above sea level. The hotel is actually at sea level. We were doing 25 mph without pedalling. The only problem was sometimes we had very high crosswinds and this made for some precarious moments. There were numerous times where crosswinds almost took a rider. One of the riders in my group went down at about 25 mph from a patch of sand on the road. 2 new rims and a few bandages and he is ready for tomorrow.


Today I burned 6000 calories and ate 7000. I had 3 dinners which is kind of like the Lord of the Rings with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd breakfast. Lets see, eggs, pancakes, english muffins, gatorade, zym fluid, perpetuem, 3 bars, debbies snack cakes, 2 GUs, Panini, chocolate milk, ice tea, 2 burritos, hamburger, lasagna, 2 tacos, ice cream bar and that about it. I have convinced myself I need this for the 100 miles tomorrow. LOL


Anyway, tomorrow should be eventful although once again a little chilly in the a.m.


Enjoy the pics.


Signing off...It is 8:30 and way past my bedtime.


Ty




No comments:

Post a Comment