Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Indio, CA to Blythe, CA 100 miles











Today was the easiest day that they have had on this tour in 11 years. That said, staying for 5 1/2 hours in the saddle, climbing 3000 ft. and biking 100 miles is never easy. The only easy day as they say was yesterday.

We had an 11 mile climb early. At the top one of the riders in my small group took a real hard fall and has some bruises and serious road rash. However, being a trooper, he is going to be back on the bike tomorrow. The determination of the individuals is amazing. There are some real strong riders in the group. I think everyone made it today with the exception of my friend who fell. That may be a first. There are 3-4 of us that are the "B" team that is the second group in on most days. Maybe I need to up my dose of branch chain aminos, vitamin C, Perpetuem, or Zym. Even that and 20 lbs lighter and I would still not be able to keep up with a couple of these guys.

The group of Brits seemed to be confused and somehow there was something amiss in the English to English translation. When Tracy said they needed to hydrate the somehow thought that the New Castle ale and Bud would help. LOL

Tough day, and it is even tougher keeping even a simple blog. With biking, and then the routine day to day stuff such as washing water bottles, cleaning the bike, etc. leaves almost no free time. Also, have to hand wash out the bike shorts and jersey each day, charge the computer and download all the day's data. Then off to the blog.
Tomorrow is a 115 mile day and a difficult one. We will probably be in the saddle for 7 hours or so and it will take a toll on us. The temp will be about 90, so that is very temperate for the desert. I thought they said we would have dessert, not desert. On a typical day like tomorrow we will drink about 200-250 ounces of liquids during the ride and another 100 or more post ride.

I am attaching a little video of when we were actually going slow. I occasionally shoot the video from the bike which Darwin would postulate would eventually eliminate me from the gene pool. Oh and also, doesn't the one rider resemble Lance Armstrong.

Signing off

Ty

1 comment:

  1. I had a love/hate relationship with the rumble strips along the highway. They form a barrier of sorts between you and the motorized vehicles, but are hell to crossover on a bicycle when needed. May I recommend large, chocolate milk shakes as bike fuel? Worked for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete